Unit 5. Entertainment: "An excuse to watch television" (Success International English Skills)

 An excuse to watch television

via BBC Learning English Teens

Like most people I know, I love watching television. When I was little, I would always look forward to watching a children’s programme on TV when I arrived home from school. These days, when I’m at home, I enjoy flicking on the television in the evening after a busy day to watch a crime drama or chat show. Although we typically watch television to unwind and we often feel guilty about watching too much of it, TV series are an excellent resource for any aspiring language learner.


When you are learning a language, it is a great idea to choose a foreign language series to watch. The series can belong to any genre: thriller, drama, comedy or even reality television, whatever takes your fancy. Watching this series is a fantastic way to improve your listening skills because the characters or presenters will talk at a normal pace and will use authentic language. It is also a very useful way to familiarise yourself with more colloquial language which cannot be found in a textbook but which is used regularly in real life.


If you are a beginner, it can be a good idea to start by watching the programme with subtitles in your native language. However, as you become more confident, you can have a go at watching a series with foreign language subtitles or even with no subtitles at all. Remember that the aim is not to understand every single word! You just need to be able to understand the overall story-line and you can often work out the meaning of unfamiliar words and phrases from the context. Although it can be difficult at first, it is important to keep going!


I have recently finished watching an Italian series called Il paradiso delle signore (‘The Ladies’ Paradise’). It is a drama about a young woman from Sicily coming to work in a department store in Milan. I thought it was great – I really liked the protagonist and the story-line was very gripping. After finishing an episode, I was desperate to find out what happened next. Sometimes, whilst watching the programme, I noted down any unfamiliar vocabulary before checking it in a dictionary. However, at other times, I put my pen down, relaxed and enjoyed the show. My listening skills have definitely improved and my vocabulary has widened.


So, there you have it: an excuse to watch TV!



Comments

  1. AUTHOR’S OPINION
    The autor tries to tell us that in our free time, we can watch TV and learn another language. It is clear that he follows a lot of series and that he truly believes that this technique really function due to it Works for him.
    MY OPINION
    Me and the autor see eye to eye since I really believe that in anything you do, you learn something. I mean, usually we carry out activities in which we develop our knowledge without noticing it. So, it is clear that when you watch a serie in another tong your begin to get used to the sound. Moreover, it also helps us to see another day to day sentences or words that in other situations, we won’t learn them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carla Rufo Galán8 May 2021 at 02:48

    I think it's a useful way to learn a foreign language and this article teaches us that learning a language can be funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miguel Muñoz Bartolomé10 May 2021 at 07:36

    From my point of view he is right in everything, for example, I have learnt a lot of new words and idiomatic expressions by watching series in English. I think it is perfect to learn a language in this way because you can enjoy it while learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julen Román Cobos10 May 2021 at 08:21

    My opinion:
    That he is right, that the way we watch dubbed series that, although he doesn't want to discredit the work, is sometimes incoherent with the translation, or simply annoying that the voice of the character doesn't fit well. For this reason, and in order to master the language spoken on a daily basis, it is important that we watch series with colloquialism in them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daniel Bermejo Mena 4 C10 May 2021 at 11:46

    From my pont of view, this person has show us and efficient and funny method to learn english , meanwhile you´re watchin uour favourite TV serie . Learning a lenguage can be funny

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reading, in my opinion, is very positive, informative, and interesting; they are quite good reasons for watching television when learning something, whether it is general culture or another language. Also, I think watching TV series on the original version is a very creative idea to learn the language you want to learn very easily and entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my opinion the author of the article in the blog has explained it perfectly. It is right that as much series, movies or programs you watch, much wider will be your vocabulary and you will improve your language skills.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jesús Ovejero Moreno11 May 2021 at 10:46

    From my point of view I agree with the author of the article because I think that watching the series or film in its original language can help us to learn new vocabulary, get used to a normal conversation and learn expressions less formal or less politically correct. Although, I prefer the interviews between a reporter or presenter and a famous person because in the series there is a plot and it is less natural.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with the opinion of the author, because it seems to me that watching the series in another language with subtitles. I have improved a great level by watching my favorite series repeated in the original version, and I think that if everyone did it, people should have a higher level of English.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with the opinion of the author, because it seems to me that watching the series in another language with subtitles. I have improved a great level by watching my favourite series repeated in the original version, and I think that if everyone did it, people should have a higher level of English.

    I watch series like Rick and Morty or Stranger Things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sergio Porras Martín24 May 2021 at 14:42

    I agree with this person because I also think that watching different TV contents can help you when you are trying to learn a new language.

    ReplyDelete
  12. very interesting to read this article.I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this awesome article. Looking for the best English speaking course in Riyadh? Enhance your language skills with Ziyyara’s tailored online English classes in Saudi Arabia.
    For more info visit Private English Tutor in Saudi Arabia or Call +971505593798

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

OPEN DAY - Get to know us

Made with Padlet

Instagram @alqabritish

SPOTIFY FOURTH GRADERS

SPOTIFY 3rd Graders

SPOTIFY SECOND GRADERS

SPOTIFY FIRST GRADERS